‘Sex’ and ‘cannabis’ remain taboo subjects in society. Yet, science says that the latter can help you with the former in unexpected ways. Most sex problems are easy to solve. This article addresses how and when cannabis can help women in such situations.
Is Sex Painful For Women?
It should not be. But the statistics state otherwise. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) states that:
Nearly 3 out of 4 women feel pain during intercourse at some point in life.
Usually, this pain during sex is a temporary problem. But in some cases, it is persistent and hampers the ability of women to enjoy sex.
Some of the reasons while sex is painful for some women are:
- Gynecologic problems (such as ovarian cysts or endometriosis),
- Problems with the response to sex (such as lack of desire or arousal in women).
This pain is usually felt in:
- the vulva region (the area surrounding the vagina opening) or
- within the vagina.
Gynecologic Problems In Which CBD Lubes Can Help Avert Pain
- Hormonal changes (such as perimenopause or menopause): Decreasing levels of estrogen may cause vaginal dryness. Using a lubricant can help counter this condition.
- Skin disorders (such as dermatitis) around vulva: They cause:
- Burning, and pain
in the affected area.
CBD lubes are good for the skin. Especially the ones that use coconut oil or hemp seed oil as the base. These lubes are natural moisturizers and can revitalize the skin.
- Vaginismus: In this condition, vaginal muscle spasms make any kind of penetration painful or impossible. Women suffering from it find it difficult to:
- have sex,
- undergo a gynecological exam, or
- insert a tampon.
It can result from medical or emotional factors. In the long term, women may start avoiding sex as they expect pain during the activity. Some things that can help in this condition are:
- pelvic exercises,
- emotional exercises, and
- insertion or dilation training.
- Vulvodynia: It may affect:
- the entire vulva region or
- the vestibule (vaginal opening).
It refers to the chronic pain and discomfort with no clear causes. It lasts for months or years.
Besides having sex, this condition may make it difficult for a woman to sit for long periods. One should avoid the use of tight-fitting clothes and perfumes or dyes that can irritate the skin. Topical application of lubes can soothe:
- the pain and
in the region in such conditions.
Sexual Response Problems In Which CBD Lube Can Help
- Lack of Sexual Desire: Pain medications, as well as some of the birth control methods, can hurt the desire for sex. Women who have issues with their body image also see their sexual desires diminish to a large extent. This may happen due to surgery. Other medical conditions that hurt a woman’s sexual desires are:
- thyroid disorders,
- or arthritis.
Cannabidiol is a non-psychoactive compound and does not work like Ecstasy. Yet, it does soothe anxiety, pain, and inflammation. It also calms you and makes it easier for you to respond to an intimate situation in a proper manner.
- Relationship Issues: Relationship problems may range from a spat between the couples to a mismatch between sexual desires. Sometimes, male partners taking medications for erectile dysfunction may have delayed orgasms. It stretches the duration of intercourse and might make it painful.
Since CBD soothes and calms a person, it makes it easier for a woman to get into the right mood before the end. The lubes make it easier to have long intercourse without the pain.
- State of Mind: Arousal is difficult when a person is in emotional stress. Some of the mental blocks associated with sex are:
- feelings of guilt or shame, and
- fear or awkwardness
especially in females.
If a person is very tired, it is difficult to be in the mood for sex.
CBD or cannabidiol stimulates the release of serotonin and dopamine in the bloodstream. These chemicals reduce stress and anxiety. They also make one feel happy and relaxed. CBD lubricants can also help with arousal.
What Is Cannabidiol? How Does It Affect Health?
Cannabidiol’s (CBD’s) molecular formula is C21H30O2. It is a phytocannabinoid found in the Cannabis plant species. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD is not at all psychoactive. Its most popular properties include:
- Analgesic: Cannabidiol provides pain relief. Research published in Pain in 2017 studied the effects of CBD on rat models for osteoarthritis. It was found that CBD doses reduced pain and inflammation in the rats’ knee joints.
A study conducted in 2016 experimented with the topical application of CBD formulation. The scientists massaged the high dose of CBD gel massaged on rats’ knees. This resulted in a significant reduction in pain and inflammation. The high-dose CBD gel contained about 10 percent CBD.
- Anti-inflammatory: Cannabidiol activates cannabinoid type-2 (CB2) receptors. CB2 receptors reduce the production of cytokines. Cytokines are proteins produced by cells which regulate inflammatory responses. They interact with the immune system of the body as a response to diseases and infections. Diseases like rheumatoid arthritis can lead to overproduction of cytokines. This causes inflammation and destruction of tissues.
- Anti-cancer: CBD is believed to be:
- Anti-Angiogenic in Tumor Cells: The endocannabinoid system (ECS) gets altered in numerous types of tumors. Cannabinoids bind themselves to the ECS receptors to stop tumor angiogenesis activity. Angiogenesis is the process through which new blood vessels are from pre-existing blood vessels. It also reduces the expression of VEGF (a pro-angiogenic factor) with the help of CB1 receptors. To put it simply, CBD and other compounds found in the cannabis plant stop tumor cells from growing.
- Antineoplastic: CBD is believed to prevent or inhibit the development of a neoplasm. A neoplasm means a tumor in which tissues in a part of the body show new and abnormal growth.
- Anti-proliferative: Cannabidiol is also believed to suppress the growth of cancer cells.
- Chemopreventive: Scientists believe that CBD might help in:
- reducing the risk of cancer,
- delay its development, and
- prevent its recurrence.
- Pro-Apoptotic: It is believed that CBD can trigger pro-apoptotic signals that cause disassembly of the cancer cells.
The wonderful thing is that CBD only targets cancer cells. It does not affect normal cells. No wonder, scientists are studying cannabidiol as a potential anticancer drug.
PubChem (of the NCBI) hails the CBD’s benefits. Its website states that Health Canada approves the use of cannabidiol with THC. The product Sativex contains both CBD and THC. It is used as:
- a supplement in the treatment of spasticity in adult patients with multiple sclerosis (MS),
- a supplement in the treatment of neuropathic pain in adult MS patients, and
- a supplement in the treatment of moderate to severe pain in advanced cancer patients.
CBD is also useful in the treatment of seizures in epilepsy and other medical conditions.
Can Vaginal Application Of Cannabis Increase Sexual Pleasure?
In ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia, doctors prescribed cannabis-derived remedies to treat gynecological conditions. Village herbalists and tribal healers prescribed cannabis for treating medical conditions like:
- difficult childbirth,
- heavy bleeding,
- nausea during pregnancy,
- pain during menstrual cramps,
- pain during sex,
- painful urination,
- post-partum hemorrhage, and
- pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS).
At the time, cannabis was rarely smoked. Most recipes were used:
- intra-nasally, and
- applying it topically.
Many CBD lube users share that applying cannabinoids on their vulvas increase their sexual pleasure. Not as a side-effect of feeling ‘relaxed’ and ‘calm’, but by turning them ‘on’.
It looks like phytocannabinoids increase the blood flow to the clitoris and vagina which is called vasodilation. This leads to sexual arousal in women. THC releases neurotransmitters like nitric oxide (NO). Nitric oxide causes the blood vessels to relax and dilate, which increases the blood flow in them.
The effects of CBD on receptors in the genitals have not been a major research focus. But it is believed to produce a similar effect.
How Does CBD Lubes Help In Pain Management?
Cannabidiol suppositories and lubes address pain in two ways:
- They limit inflammation, and
- They desensitize pain-receiving nerves (such as TRPV1).
CBD targets the same enzyme as Ibuprofin. CBD targets the same enzyme as Ibuprofin. The enzyme decreases the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause inflammation and pain during cramps.
In endometriosis patients, cannabinoids prevent the growth of aberrant cells and destroy them. CBD blocks the activation of the GPR18 receptors which stops the migration of endometriotic cells.
Endometriosis is a condition in which a tissue found in the uterus lining starts growing outside the uterus. This might cause:
- Chronic pain in abdomen, pelvis, and lower back
- Constipation, diarrhea or nausea
- Painful intercourse, urination or bowel movements
- Severe menstrual cramps
Women who have experienced sexual assault or marital abuse at some point in time may experience pain and anxiety during sex. THC worsens the anxiety. But hemp-derived CBD oil eases anxiety, paranoia, pain, and inflammation. Many CBD user reviews state that CBD-rich cannabis oil or hemp oil has been quite effective in helping them ‘enjoy’ sex.
Since CBD is also good for skin, it prevents the itchiness and dryness around the vulva region. The moisturizing and regenerative effects of the hemp seed oil as the base make CBD lubes more effective.
What’s The Difference Between A Regular Lube And A CBD Lube?
In women, foreplay allows the vagina to produce lubricant naturally. Less lubrication means that ‘friction’ due to penetration during intercourse increases. It can cause discomfort and pain.
In cases where there is no time for foreplay or women are not able to produce enough lubrication, using a lubricant can help. One needs to keep in mind that the natural lube produced by a vagina is thick, sticky and gooey. Ordinary lubes are generally light, airy, and slick.
CBD lubes work like ordinary lubricants available in the market. But to experience its full benefits, you should use the CBD lube at least 15 minutes before the sexual intercourse. Your vaginal lining will need some time to absorb the cannabidiol in the cannabis lube and let it work its magic.
CBD lubes do not affect your brain directly. In topical applications, the CBD in the lube does not reach your bloodstream. It works by affective the nerves in the area you slap it on.
What Do CBD Lube Users Have To Say?
Most women who have used CBD lubes say that they rate much high above the ordinary lubes. The common points mentioned in hundreds of CBD lube reviews were:
- CBD lube does a better job on pain alleviation. But the ratings differ from brand to brand. CBD lubes with peppermint oil and black pepper seem to be the ‘best formulation for alleviating pain during sex’. Users report that the cool and tingly sensation of the peppermint and black pepper helps in stimulating the penetration area.
- The thickness of the lubricant mattered. Thicker formulations were preferred for intimate moments. They remove the discomfort caused by friction.
- CBD lubricants are much more expensive than ordinary lubes. Cannabidiol is an expensive ingredient. That’s why cheaper CBD lubes have less concentration of CBD than the more expensive ones.
- Ordinary lubes may contain toxic ingredients. Good-quality CBD products use all plant-based ingredients. They are verifiably good for your health. One must check the third-party lab test results before ordering anything related to CBD online.
- Some users did not like the earthy smell of the hemp in the CBD lube. But considering its myriad benefits, they grew used to it. Non-CBD lubes do nothing to calm you down after all.
CBD does nothing for sexual arousal directly. But it alleviates pain and anxiety. This plays a big role in helping women stay mindful and focused during sex. It increases the pleasure of both partners considerably.
Warning: Things To Keep In Mind When You Use The CBD Lube
Oil-based products damage latex. Hence, if you or your partner is using a condom or other latex-based contraceptives, you must use an oil-free CBD lube. CBD massage oils should be avoided too. Look for latex-safe CBD lube in such cases.
Oil-based lubricants can break condoms and other forms of contraceptive barriers. Hence, they can put you at risk for STIs or unintended pregnancy.
Use CBD lube like a pre-lube if you like to use sex toys made of rubber or silicone. Apply the CBD oil about 20-30 minutes before you get into the game. It will allow your body to absorb the oil. Wipe off any excess oil before you use the rubber or silicone toy.
Women who are prone to vaginal infections should avoid lubes that contain fragrances or flavors. Ingredients like glycerin or sugar can disrupt the natural pH balance in the vagina. This makes you prone to yeast infections.
Is CBD Lube Legal?
The US 2018 Farm Bill protects industrial hemp and all products derived from it. Hemp is a cannabis plant variety that contains 0.3% THC. If the CBD lube you are using is derived from hemp, it is federally legal across all 50 states.
Marijuana refers to all cannabis varieties that contain more than 0.3% THC. It is illegal at the federal level. Local laws in some of the states do allow people to use marijuana for medical purposes. So, if the CBD lube you intend to buy is derived from marijuana, you might want to check its legality first.
Some of the states where you can freely buy a CBD lube for medical or recreational purposes are:
In the rest of the states, it is advisable to go only for hemp-derived CBD lubricant.
How To Buy CBD Lube?
Some CBD lubes have a higher concentration of CBD than others. You should always note the amount of CBD a lubricant has to have better control over the amount you may like to use.
Different people have different things to say about it. Some want more lubrication but less CBD and hence, use CBD lubes with lower CBD concentration. Others want more CBD in their lubes to control the pain and anxiety during sex.
The potency of the lubes matter too. If CBD molecules in the lubricants are smaller, it is easier for the body to absorb them. Inquire about the product with the customer care executives in detail before you buy it.
CBD lubes of some brands are lighter and watery. They spread on a larger surface area with ease and are great as massage oils. Others are more viscous. They provide better lubrication during an intimate moment.
Men may also use CBD lubes for anal sex. The penis is not as absorbent as a vagina. So, lubes do not affect them as much as a vagina. But the lining of the rectum is as responsive to CBD and THC effects as the vagina. This is the reason CBD and THC suppositories are so popular with men.
Most CBD lubes are edible and palatable. Flavored lubes are tastier but they may not be good for your body’s pH balance. Lubes containing vegetable-based glycerol can keep the infections away. They are safer for those who are more vulnerable to infections. But they may not taste nice.
Licking off a CBD lube allows you to receive the benefits of oral consumption of the CBD – like a CBD oil tincture. Hemp-derived CBD lubes do not contain THC. It means that they do not have psychoactive effects and do not get you ‘high’.
Please note that most CBD lube suppliers use the coupon code ‘LIONESS’. So, if you are placing your order now, try it to win an amazing discount!